Following the slew of updates announced for the 2021 Silverado 1500, the 2021 Chevrolet Silverado HD debuts today with several key updates to make it more competitive in the unforgivingly cutthroat segment that is the 3/4-ton and full-ton pickup truck market. The main highlight is a boost in max towing, which comes in at 36,000 pounds. 18 tons. The ability to tow nearly ten C8 Corvette Stingrays.
By comparison, The 2021 Ford F-350 Super Duty is rated at a maximum of 35,750 lbs, while the 2020 Ram 3500 HD is rated at a maximum of 35,100 lbs. The previous max tow rating for the Silverado HD was 35,500 lbs. This new max tow rating is compliant with the SAE J2807 standard, and is achieved with hardware upgrades to the suspension and the wheel/tire packages. This maximum trailer weight can only be reached with 2021 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 HD regular cab 2WD dually with the 6.6-liter turbo-diesel V8, 10-speed Allison-branded automatic transmission, and the Max Tow Package. The weight must then be properly configured onto a heavy-duty gooseneck trailer.
That said, the 2021 Ford F-450 dually, a class 3 truck, is rated to tow 37,000 pounds by the same standard.
To help manage this incredible weight, the 2021 Chevrolet Silverado HD offers a class-leading available 15 unique camera views, and eight cameras to reduce blind spots. New technology for 2021 Silverado HD is shared with the 2021 Silverado 1500, including:
- Trailer Length Indicator: When making a lane-change maneuver with the turn signal activated, a red overlay twice the length of the compatible trailer is shown on the center console screen, which can help show when other vehicles are present.
- Jack-Knife Alert: Tracks the position of the compatible trailer in relation to the vehicle and provides an alert if a potential jack-knife situation is imminent.
- Cargo Bed View enhancement: Cargo Bed Zoom View and Bed Hitch Guidance are now available, which help to align and hook up a gooseneck/fifth-wheel trailer.
- Rear Trailer View upgrades, plus Trailer-Angle Indicator: Enhanced to include assisting guidelines when backing a compatible trailer into place, helping the truck align itself better with the trailer.
- Rear Side View enhancement: Provides a split view, automatically oriented based on the trailer’s angle, of the left and right sides of the truck and compatible trailer. This view was previously only available while driving forward and is now available in Reverse for better visibility when positioning a trailer.
Additionally, two new hues are added to the 2021 Silverado HD’s color wheel: Cherry Red Tintcoat, and Mosaic Black Metallic. Otherwise, here’s a rundown of revised standard and optional equipment for the 2021 Chevrolet Silverado HD:
- Bed View Camera display located in a rearview mirror screen insert now available on entry level Work Truck, Custom and LT trim levels. The larger Bed View Camera display located in the infotainment screen is now standard on the 2021 Silverado HD High Country, and available on 2021 Silverado HD LTZ and LT trims.
- Safety Confidence Package available on Work Truck and Custom. Package includes Forward Collision Alert, Automatic Emergency Braking, Driver Information Center and Steering Wheel Audio Controls.
- Wireless Phone Projection on Apple CarPlay and Android Auto standard for LTZ and High Country, and available on LT.
Front center console with storage now standard on Work Truck and Custom.
- SiriusXM radio and OnStar now available on Work Truck and standard on LT.
The 2021 Silverado HD models began production in September and are arriving at Chevrolet dealerships throughout fall 2020.