Ford has provided police departments with the vehicles they need to protect and serve communities for over 70 years. At the present, over 12,000 police departments across the country are Ford Pro customers. That’s a lot of cop cars. And as things continue to become more electrified, so then will the police fleets. Not long ago, the Ford Mustang Mach-E put on a police uniform. And now it’s time for America’s first electric pickup truck built for police. Enter the 2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Pro Special Service Vehicle.
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Pro SSV: Details
The 2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Pro SSV blends familiar Built Ford Tough power and performance, including available four-second 0-60 mph acceleration, with the vehicle’s high-tech electric platform and innovation with Ford Pro’s real-time software and support. Additionally, the F-150 Lightning Pro SSV is designed to handle specialized department needs outside of pursuit situations. Purpose-built features from F-150 Police Responder include:
- Police-grade heavy-duty cloth seats with reduced bolsters to help holstered officers enter and exit the vehicle more easily
- Built-in steel intrusion plates in the front seatbacks
- Available red/blue, amber/white roof-mounted LED warning beacons
- An upfit-friendly reinforced instrument panel top tray for easy mounting of police equipment
- Easy-to-clean vinyl rear seats and vinyl flooring
The F-150 Lightning police truck comes pre-configured to seamlessly connect to a department’s existing fleet of Ford and non-Ford internal combustion engine and battery-electric vehicles, chargers, and fleet management software. When used together, police departments will be able to proactively manage when vehicles are charged and serviced, resulting in potentially lower operating costs and improved uptime. As expected, the trucks also come with standard Lightning features, including:
- 12-inch digital cluster screen and 12-inch landscape-style touchscreen on the center stack
- Mega Power Frunk gives officers 14.1 cubic feet of lockable cargo area and offers easy access for upfitters to locate a 220-amp DC-DC power source
- Intelligent Range, SYNC 4, over-the-air Ford Power Up software updates, and other modern safety features
More information on the 2023 F-150 Lightning, including the range, will be released later this summer.