The 2022 Detroit Auto Show is tearing down, and the State Fair of Texas is about to go guns a-blazing. Ford, Ram and General Motors have long used this month-long festival celebrating The Lone Star State as a way to debut their latest big trucks, full-size utility vehicles, and other All-American products that have long been embraced by the biggest state of the Lower 48. In other words, there’s going to be a volley of truck news this week, but GM is quickest to the holster with the 2024 Chevrolet Silverado HD.
Exterior Design Updates: A Purposeful Facelift
When Chevrolet introduced the all-new Silverado HD for the 2020 model year, its frontal design – particularly the Work Truck and LT trim levels – took a bit of heat. While it scored well in marketing clinics with customers that would actually buy the truck, it certainly wasn’t winning any beauty pageants. We think that the course has been corrected with the 2024 model year refresh. The laser-beam-like LED signature lighting and block-style headlights are definitely a more concise design, while it looks like the mail-slot hood scoop got a bit of love, as well.
2024 Chevrolet Silverado HD Powertrain Updates
Mechanically, the recipe for the updated Silverado HD is unchanged. Rumors of the updated Duramax V8 engine officially achieving 1,000 lb-ft of torque were mostly accurate, with official numbers for the 6.6L L5P Duramax V8 engine coming in at a still very powerful 470 hp and 975 lb-ft of torque, per the SAE J1349 standard. Chevrolet says that the updated L5P Duramax for 2024 features a more efficient turbocharger, a new combustion system with a new piston dish shape, higher flow fuel injectors running at higher pressure, and new engine control architecture. Altogether, low-end torque is improved 25 percent with these updates. The 10-speed Allison-branded transmission is also now the sole option, meaning that the 6.6L gasoline L8T V8 (developed by Navistar) drops the elder 6-speed for something more in line with the times.
Chevrolet didn’t improve max towing (36,000 lbs) and max payload (4,572 lbs) with the 2024 Chevrolet Silverado HD, but one statistic that stands out is that the max gross combined weight rating (GCWR) on the updated Silverado 3500 HD with the gas V8 is improved to 26,000 pounds, up from 24,000 pounds just a model year prior. That means this 3/4-ton work truck can simultaneously haul, tow, and carry more occupants/cargo than before. The Max Tow Package is now now available across all Silverado 2500 trims, as well, bumping the max tow rating to 22,500 pounds when equipped with the 6.6L L5P Duramax diesel.
2024 Chevrolet Silverado HD Technology Updates
Simply talking about power improvements doesn’t tell the whole story of how Chevrolet made the 2024 Silverado HD more effective at doing work. The updated truck features an entire technology suite that improves visibility, makes hitching a trailer more effortless, and long-haul driving easier. Such as:
- Adaptive Cruise Control with Trailer: It’s not quite Super Cruise, but the Adaptive Cruise Control system in the new Silverado factors in additional drag and increased braking distances when towing a trailer.
- Enhanced Transparent Trailer: No longer just for conventional trailering, the updated Transparent Trailer technology can now work with fifth-wheel and gooseneck trailers.
- Trailer Side Blind Zone Alert: This feature extends the “blind zone” area of the truck to let drivers know that something could be in the way before they attempt to merge or change lanes.
- GCW Alert an integrated scale system in the 2024 Chevrolet Silverado HD lets drivers know if they’ve exceeded the truck’s Gross Combined Weight Rating, which can vary based on cab style, trim level, mechanical content, packages, and more. To that end, every Chevrolet Silverado HD will continue to feature a vehicle-specific Trailering Information Label, which lists its unique trailering metrics including the trailering ratings to the max tongue weight, max payload and more.
The 2024 Chevrolet Silverado HD also features 14 unique camera views, including an HD Surround Vision and Bed View, an in-vehicle Trailering App.
On the infotainment side, new Google built-in compatibility opens up the 2024 Chevrolet Silverado HD to Google Assistant, which is available through the infotainment system touchscreen or voice command. Through voice command, Google Assistant can send texts, play music, receive directions with Google Maps, adjust vehicle settings and even control smart home devices. A configurable heads-up display is also available. Like the updates we see on the Silverado 1500 from 2022 and beyond, new graphics in the instrument panel and infotainment screen are also present and accounted for.
Available active safety systems on the 2024 Chevrolet Silverado HD include:
- Front Pedestrian Braking
- Forward Collision Alert
- Automatic Emergency Braking
- Lane Departure Warning
- Following Distance Indicator
2024 Chevrolet Silverado HD Interior Updates
Like the recently updated Chevrolet Silverado 1500, nearly every trim level of the 2024 Silverado HD features an updated interior, except the Work Truck trim. From the LT, to the LTZ and the posh High Country, customers will see a configurable12.3-inch diagonal instrument panel, and 13.4-inch-diagonal infotainment display. We’re sure the Silverado HD ZR2 will feature all of this tech, as well. Calling back on the cabin design of the beloved C/K Series trucks from 1970s and 1980s, the infotainment screen is no tilted to the driver for a more commanding feel. The smartphone charging pad has also been rethought, and there’s a pass-through beneath the console, as well.
Additional interior updates for the 2024 Chevrolet Silverado HD include:
- leather-wrapped surfaces and real wood accents on High Country
- Larger cupholder space in the center console, with a total of 10 cupholders, depending on the configuration.
- New audio control knobs as seen in the refreshed Silverado 1500
- Climate vents and controls for second-row passengers
- Enhanced hidden storage, including in the console, upper and lower gloveboxes and even a sunglasses holder behind the infotainment screen.
Silverado HD High Country Midnight Edition
The 2024 Chevrolet Silverado HD expands on the High Country trim level by offering a new Midnight Edition package for the first time. This darkened-out dozer features darkened chrome grille inlays, black wheels, and other design cues that make the package worthy of the name. Pictured above, the Midnight Edition Silverado HD does its best to make the big rig as stealthy as possible.
First-Ever Silverado HD ZR2
2024 Chevrolet Silverado HD pricing will be announced as the truck heads closer to production, which will take place out of both the Flint Assembly plant in Michigan, as well as the Oshawa Assembly plant in Ontario, Canada.