It wasn’t too long ago that we reported that a British Billionaire by the name of Jim Ratcliffe, who is the founder and chairman of Ineos, had decided to build an old-school SUV in the same spirit as the original Land Rover Defender, which had been discontinued ahead of its launch of the luxurious unibody successor which can hardly compare to the rugged, all-conquering off-roader that helped give Land Rover its legendary SUV status. Production for the Ineos Grenadier for the United States will be starting as early as next month, which is undoubtedly an exciting announcement.
Yes, the highly anticipated spiritual successor to the body-on-frame Land Rover Defender is on its way.
Ineos has received over 7,000 orders for the Grenadier in the United States, more than any of the 40 other markets the SUV is available in. The British chemical company recently established its North American headquarters in Raleigh, North Carolina, and also announced its U.S. dealer and service network, which includes:
- Sierra INEOS Grenadier, Irvine, CA
- Rusnak INEOS Grenadier, Pasadena, CA
- Mossy INEOS Grenadier, National City, CA
- Kuhn INEOS Grenadier, Redwood City, CA
- Red Noland INEOS Grenadier, Colorado Springs, CO
- Holman INEOS Grenadier, Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Crown INEOS Grenadier, St. Petersburg, FL
- Regal INEOS Grenadier, Roswell, GA
- Lyle Pearson INEOS Grenadier, Bois, ID
- Knauz INEOS Grenadier, Lake Buff, IL
- Ko INEOS Grenadier, Framingham, MA
- Triad INEOS Grenadier, HIgh Point, NC
- RTGT INEOS Granadier, Wilsonville, OR
- RDS INEOS Grenadier, Devon, PA
- Mossy INEOS Grenadier, Houston, TX
- Sewell INEOS Grenadier, Plano, TX
- Warner INEOS Grenadier, est Valley, UT
- Elliott Bay INEOS Grenadier, Seattle, WA
Ineos Grenadier: Details
The Ineos Grenadier will be available in three trims: base, Trialmaster, and Fieldmaster. Power for all trims will come from a BMW-sourced I6 engine and will be ready to hit the trails once delivery is taken. The go-anywhere SUV features a body-on-frame box section ladder frame construction, a full-time 4WD drive system, solid beam axles, and “up to three locking differentials.” The five-door SUV will arrive in the U.S. with a starting price of $71,500. Customers won’t have any options, so the SUV will be ready for customization. Ineos says the base will have modern amenities and a comfortable interior.
Ineo claims that the Grenadier has been designed to be fixed easily and quickly, meaning that it’s a vehicle built to last without any unnecessary electronics. A novel concept for today’s standards, and one that will surely be a massive hit amongst customers. That said, the company has announced plans to release an EV version of the Grenadier in the future, which means some of that “designed to be fixed easily” will be sacrificed. It also means that we can expect to see some of these SUVs crawling around a mall parking lot rather than up a trail, which is unfortunate but unsurprising.