Going forward indefinitely, GMC will be looking for ways to generate awareness of its rugged AT4X sub-brand, and will lean on its capable trucks to do so. Making a big splash was the 2022 GMC Sierra AT4X Ultimate Overland concept in May at the 2022 Overland Expo West event. And as an even bigger follow-up, GMC and American Expedition Vehicles have collaborated to debut the 2023 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4X AEV Edition today at the 2022 Overland Expo Pacific Northwest event happening in Bend, Oregon.
As it stands, 2023 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4X AEV Edition is the most factory-capable pickup truck that Big Red has yet to offer. And if you’re a fan of what you’ve seen with GM’s collaborations with AEV in the past (think Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Bison), you’ll definitely recognize the formula. Major updates include:
- AEV stamped steel front and rear bumpers with heavy duty recovery points and winch capability (front bumper)
- Five hot-stamped boron steel skid plates (front approach, steering gear, transfer case, fuel tank and rear differential)
- Unique, race-inspired, laser-engraved 18-inch AEV Salta wheels in gloss back finish with AEV’s signature recessed valve system for added protection from rocks on the trail
- 33-inch Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT tires
- Updated front grille and fascia to accommodate the new bumper and larger tires, gloss black door handles and a black contrast inner tailgate
- Exclusive AEV branding throughout the vehicle, including on bumpers, embroidered head rests and all-weather floor liners
- Available off-road rocker panel protectors to help shield the sills and frame rails and an optional bolt-on step assist when not off-roading.
Validated by General Motors, the boron steel front and rear bumpers from American Expedition Vehicles on the 2023 GMC Sierra AT4X AEV Edition are constructed of 3mm, heavy-duty steel and are powder and e-coated for durability as well as UV and corrosion resistance. The front bumper comes ready for a winch, but isn’t included. Combined with the extra inch or so of tire, the new bumpers improve front approach angle increases by more than 27%, to 32.5 degrees. The departure angle improves to 23.4 degrees (compared to 23 degrees) and the breakover angle improves to 23.0 degrees (compared to 22.7 degrees). The truck’s ground clearance also improves to 11.2 inches (compared to 10.8 inches).
For the underbody, the five ultra-high-strength, hot-stamped boron steel skid plates are 3.5-times stronger than an equivalent cold-stamped high-strength steel part, but it also provides incredible resistance to gouging and bending.
2023 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4X And AEV Edition: Pricing And Availability
To unlock this package, one must first opt for the standard GMC Sierra 1500 AT4X trim, which is $79,100 USD with destination fees included. Pricing for the AEV Edition is not yet available. Pricing for the 2023 Sierra AT4X is also not yet available.
It’s important to note that GMC has also trickled down these AEV bumpers, front skid plate, 33-inch tires, and available rock sliders as a rolling update to the standard AT4X later in the 2023 model year. Max payload has also been adjusted to 1,290 pounds, and max trailering has been adjusted to 8,700 pounds on the 2023 Sierra 1500 AT4X.
We’ll have more details as to why these features were not available for the 2022 model year – which launched a little over a month ago – very soon. Either way, the Sierra seems to have leapfrogged the Chevrolet Silverado ZR2 for the time being, as the steel bumpers do not appear to be offered on that truck just yet. Look for the upcoming 2023 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 ZR2 Bison to change that.
3 CommentsLeave a Reply
3 Pings & Trackbacks
Pingback:Lingenfelter Magnuson Supercharger Kit For GM Trucks
Pingback:GMC Has Once Again Teased The Canyon AT4X
Pingback:Silverado EV Work Truck Gaining More Attention