As the 2021 model year approaches, automakers are starting to give us more details about the changes coming to their vehicle lineups. Thanks to a new document released by GMC, we now have some information about the 2021 GMC Sierra HD lineup and the numerous trailer-focused upgrades coming to GM’s fanciest pickup.
There are no massive changes coming to the GMC Sierra Heavy Duty for 2021, however the top-tier Denali trim has picked up the company’s HD Surround Vision and Bed View camera technology as standard equipment. GMC will also be unveiling a new Sierra HD Denali Black Diamond Edition, which includes upgrades such as exclusive 20-inch high-gloss black wheels and new power-retractable assist steps. No pricing information is available for the new package at this time. Other tweaks to the lineup include the addition of Mud Terrain tires that can fit an 18-inch tire, and off-road high clearance steps on Sierra Heavy Duty AT4 models, as well as the MultiPro Tailgate coming as standard on SLE models.
The most notable adjustment to the 2021 GMC Sierra Heavy Duty lineup is an upgraded suite of trailer and towing technology. As seen with the 2021 GMC Sierra 1500, the new tech is aimed at making life with a large trailer attached a little bit easier, the new software should make driving a Heavy Duty as pain-free as possible. The new available kit break down as follows:
- Trailer Length Indicator: New for 2021, when enabled and driving forward with the turn signal activated, the center console screen displays a red overlay twice the length of the compatible trailer and shows when other vehicles are present and may interfere with a lane-change maneuver.
- Jack-Knife Alert: New for 2021, Jack-Knife Alert tracks the position of the compatible trailer in relation to the vehicle. If the front of the trailer approaches the rear of the vehicle, an alert is displayed when there may be a potential jack-knife situation.
- Rear Trailer View now features guidelines and Trailer-Angle Indicator: Rear Trailer View has been enhanced to include guidelines that assist when backing a trailer into place and a Trailer-Angle Indicator to show the relationship between the truck and compatible trailer. Rear Trailer View requires the customer-installed available GM auxiliary accessory camera.
- Rear Side View Enhancement: When driving forward on the 2020 GMC Sierra, Rear Side View provides a split view of the left and right sides of the truck and compatible trailer that is automatically biased based on the trailer’s angle. In the 2021 GMC Sierra, drivers will have access to this view while driving in reverse, making it easier to see surrounding vehicles and objects while positioning a trailer.
- Cargo Bed View Enhancement: New Cargo Bed Zoom View and Bed Hitch Guidance are now available, which can be helpful for aligning and hooking up a gooseneck/fifth-wheel trailer.
It is important to note that select trailering features will require a conventional-hitched box or camping trailer, and some additional set-up may be needed on the back end. However, a quick stop at the dealer should resolve any specific questions buyers may have about the new equipment. Expect pricing details to come as production for the 2021 model year draws closer.