Real adventures rarely happen on paved roads, and finding unpaved roads can sometimes be challenging. However, Ford has recently announced a new way to make these roads easier to discover, plan and share off-road journeys. The new Bronco Trail Map debuts today for Apple iOS and Google Android mobile devices at Bronco Safari 2023 in Utah, where hundreds of Bronco enthusiasts are gathering to show off their vehicles and tackle some of the challenging trails that can be found in the app.
Ford Bronco Trail App: Details
The app is only available for Ford Bronco SUV owners, and it features approximately 1,200 professionally curated off-road trail maps across the U.S., Canada, and Mexico to start. It also allows users to record drives with waypoints, photos, and video – and lets you share your adventure on social media. Ford also plans to release future updates for the app, adding more trails and features to the Bronco Trail App.
After downloading the Bronco Trail App and linking it to their FordPass account, Bronco owners gain access to key features, including:
- Curated trail maps: Always stay on the trail with the Bronco Trail App and discover roughly 18,000 miles of existing trails. Filter by location, length, difficulty, and more. Each trail has a description and can be saved for future adventures.
- Points of interest: Keep track of what’s ahead, like tough challenges, scenic points of interest, waypoints, can’t-miss photo ops, and more. Once you’ve saved a trip, you can add your own waypoints, photos, and notes about your experience.
- Satellite imagery and 2D topographic maps: Access and download different map styles to prepare for the journey ahead.
- Pressure gauge: Some trails recommend lower or higher tire pressure to traverse; the Bronco Trail App features a real-time tire pressure gauge built into the app to assist with adjusting to desired tire pressure on the trail and recommended pressure for the road. It can also be used even if you don’t have a cellular or cloud connection.
- Adventure tracking: Bookmark and record favorite trails to visit again or share rides from your phone with other Bronco owners.
- Video capturing: Capture video of your drive by securing your smartphone in the vehicle. Finished recordings can be viewed in the app or through a connection with your vehicle’s center console, with overlay data like speed, RPM, distance traveled, elevation, and more. Think of it like a Performance Data Recorder from Cosworth, but for off-roading.
Since Ford has made the Bronco Trail App complimentary to download and use for all Bronco owners, there’s no reason not to have it, especially if you use the vehicle for off-roading and not as a mall crawler. If the latter is the case, shame on you!